The Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA), or 835, is the electronic transaction which provides claim payment information in the HIPAA mandated ACSX12 005010X221A1 format. These files are used by practices, facilities, and billing companies to autopost claim payments into their systems. You can receive your 835 files through your clearinghouse, direct connection, UnitedHealthcare's Connectivity Director or download them from UnitedHealthcareOnline.com, with enrollment in Electronic Payments & Statements (EPS).
- Eliminate manual keying; save time and effort
- Reduce posting errors
- Increase efficiency and save money
1. Contact your clearinghouse to request direct delivery of your UnitedHealthcare 835 files. Once we receive the request for 835s from your clearinghouse/EDI vendor, it takes about 30 days to set up delivery of the ERA/835.
2. Sign up for EPS to enjoy faster payment through direct deposit to your bank account and printable online EOBs on demand.
Note: if you choose not to enroll in EPS, you will receive unconsolidated 835 files (a file for each check you receive) and continue to receive paper EOBs in the mail.
- Registration and routing is completed at the Tax ID level. Split routing by Tax ID is not available.
- Your payment schedule is not impacted by ERA/835 registration.
- The ACS X12 005010X221A1 HIPAA Implementation guide and HIPAA Code Lists are on www.wpc-edi.com. UnitedHealthcare's companion guides are available here.
Review the resources below for an overview and tips on how to work with UnitedHealthcare's 835.